Requirements for the Processing of the International Doctor Mention:
- The Doctoral Student concerned, during the specialist training period required so as to obtain his or her Doctoral Degree, will have to have undertaken a minimum stay of three months outside Spain in an institution of higher education or research within another European State, either taking official courses within the university concerned or undertaking research tasks under the auspices of the Entity in charge of him or her.
- The Doctoral Student would be expected to have written and submitted part of the Doctoral Thesis, at least a summary of it and the conclusions reached, in one of the official languages of the European Union other than in the official languages of Spain.
- The Thesis would have to have had at least two assessment reports written on it by Doctors, each belonging to an institution of higher education or research within Member States of the European Union, each of these a different one, neither of them belonging to Spain.
- At least one expert belonging to an institution of higher education or research center of a Member State of the European Union, other than Spain, with the status of Doctor, and different from those mentioned in the previous paragraph, must have formed part of the Examining Board assessing the Thesis.
- The Thesis Defense will have been held in the Menéndez Pelayo International University itself, or, in the case of Joint Doctoral Programs, in any of the participating universities, or on the basis of what is set down in the collaboration agreements as drawn up.
If the Thesis is seen to be opting for the International Doctor Mention, the student concerned, at the time of applying for authorization to carry out the Defense of the Doctoral Thesis, must also submit the following additional documentation:
- The completed Form applying for the International Doctor mention, indicating the language chosen within which to write and to make publicly available what has been written (Forms).
- Accreditation of the international period of stay concerned.
- Assessment reports as issued by the international experts concerned.
Appointment of the Examining Board
The Doctoral Studies Commission, after verification of compliance with the formal requirements set out above, and at the behest of the Enity in charge, will appoint a Thesis Examining Board, forming part of which will be an expert, with the status of Doctor, belonging to an institution of higher education or a research institution of a Member State of the European Union, other than Spain, and will come to a decision on whether to authorize the Defense of the Thesis with International Mention.
The Defense of the Doctoral Thesis
In the proceedings involving the Defense of the Doctoral Thesis, the Secretary of the Examining Board appointed to evaluate the said Thesis must certify that the Defense was made available, at least partially, in one of the official languages of the European Union other than the official languages of Spain, and that the Examining Board was constituted with the inclusion of at least one expert, with the status of Doctor, belonging to an institution of higher education or of research of a Member State of the European Union, other than Spain, and appointed by the Doctoral Studies Commission.
The Awarding of the International Doctor Mention
The awarding of the International Doctor Mention will be brought about when the requirements laid down above would have been met with.
That being the case, the Secretary of the Examining Board will be obliged to ensure that the certification referred to in the paragraph above reaches the UIMP Student Administration Office, so that the procedure corresponding to the issuance of the Degree Certificate concerned, which will include the International Doctor Mention, may be initiated.
Should that not be the case, i.e. the conditions required by which the Secretary of the Examining Board may issue the certification concerned would not have been met with, it would not be appropriate that the International Doctor Mention be assigned, something concerning which the Doctoral Studies Commission would need to be notified.
International Doctor Accreditation
The International Doctor Mention will appear on the certificate of payment of fees with regard to the issuance of the Degree Certificate; where applicable, on the supplementary certification of the Degree Certificate, as well as on the reverse side of the official Doctoral Degree Certificate.
Simultaneously with the handing over of the Doctoral Degree Certificate, the Doctor concerned will also be provided with a Diploma issued by the Principal of the UIMP reflecting the International Doctor mention. The General Administration Office of the University will undertake the corresponding registration of the International Doctors diplomas.
The International Doctor Mention will be set down on certifications, Offical Qualification Certificate, and Diploma in the following way:
"The holder of this Certificate / Qualification Certificate has been awarded the Degree of Doctor, together with the accreditation of International Doctor".