For EU students

If you a student from a member nation of the European Union, you do not need a visa to study in Spain. For any ordinary procedure or transaction, you only need to have your passport or valid national identity document.

Nonetheless, if you are thinking of staying in Spain beyond 3 months, you need to apply for registration on the Central Register of Foreign Nationals. This process must be done at the Immigration Office (see address below).

For non-EU students

If you come from a non-European Union member state and are thinking of staying in Spain for more than 3 months, you need to apply for a student visa the closest Spanish Embassy or Consulate to you.

It is important to be aware that if you come to Spain as a tourist, you may not then apply for a student visa to extend your stay. Therefore, although in principle you plan to stay in the country under three months, we recommend you get a student visa in your home country allowing you to extend your stay in our country later on.

When the length of the course is above six months, you need to apply for the TIE (Tarjeta de Autorización de Estancia por Estudios [Study Visit Authorisation Card] within a month of your arrival in Spain. This procedure can be done at the Immigration Office.

Necessary documentation to renew visas and obtain the study visit card (once in Spain):

Valid passport or ID card and photocopies of them.

Three photographs (passport size)

Proof of registration at the Centre (registration certificate).

Proof of having sufficient funds: bank certificate or credit card.

Proof of having fully comprehensive medical insurance.

Completion certificate (marks) of the course for which the student visa was granted.

Contact details for the Santander Immigration Office

Oficina de Extranjeros de Santander

C/ Vargas nº 53 (Santander)

Tel.: 942 999 399 


    Embassies of other countries in Spain